At When I Grow Up, we exist to ensure no child in the world needs to live in extreme poverty.
We do this through behaving with relational intelligence, dedication and valuing meaningful relationships with our global partners.
Our action focuses on raising resources for funding and friendship to share with our global partners who are on the frontlines of helping children who live in circumstances of extreme poverty.
We are a village, because we know it takes a village. Our team is global including our global partner friends in Guatemala, Haiti, and Kenya. Our local partners are in California, Idaho, Indiana, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, and Scotland.
In 2017, forty-two WIGU local partners traveled 79,114 miles to visit our global partners and share friendship and support.
Our supporters delivered on their best year to date in donating and investing in the work we do.
$657,810 was raised to help our global partners. Through individual donors, church support, fundraising events, and grants awarded, people gave generously believing in our mission and vision.
A total of 473 people, churches, companies and organizations stood with us in giving and investing in empowering children out of extreme poverty.
That’s over $1,800 raised every, single, day!
The focus of our work is on partnering with three amazing Global Partners who do life-changing daily, front-line work.
- Furaha Community Foundation, Huruma slum, Nairobi, Kenya
- Esperanza para Guatemala, Zone 18, Guatemala City, Guatemala
- Bethesda Center Foundation, Palma and Jacob, Haiti
Together they teach and care for 1,640 children and a total of 9,130 people receive regular help from our global partners in the form of school education, health care, daily feeding programs, weekly food supplies, micro-business interest free loans, church involvement, job training, work support, university grants and safe-house care.
At the center of each global partner’s work is education.
The education is wrapped around with feeding programs, health care, social care, spiritual nourishing, guardian empowering, safe house protections, job training, post High School education and community development.
What’s Ahead in 2018
Every year our global partners do more, help more, care more and love more. It’s our joy – and challenge – to keep up with all they are doing to change the lives of more and more children.
Our biggest project to date is underway at Furaha Community Foundation. We are helping them build a new 240-bed dormitory for the High School students.
This is a huge project – $300,000 huge!
But as always we know our supporters and friends will help us raise it and see the Furaha High School students have the safe, warm, hygienic and quality dormitory they deserve.
Other News and Projects
- In Haiti we also want to finish building their High School classrooms. But it’s more than bricks and mortar. Every day we provide 1,610 meals. We help over 90 staff provide for their families and develop their careers. We train 22 Pastors.
- In 2018 Esperanza para Guatemala will start Phase One of a new Primary School.
- We now have over 60 Furaha students studying at university or college.
- Three safehouses are operating to protect most-at-risk children.
- Last year textbooks were provided for every school student.
- Esperanza have started a new program for 50 additional at-risk children from two local schools, three other schools will join in later in 2018.
- In partnership with the Gnu Foundation there are over 240 micro-businesses running.
- Furaha Primary won National Championship in arts and dance; top three in academics out of 120 schools; the Furaha High School was 5th out of 48 schools in their district.
The amazing reality is that through our global partners, your support and investment with us helps 15,065 people every week!
Travel in 2018
Join us on in visiting one of our global partners. We have trips in the works for June, August, September, January, and February. We go to be, not to do. Learn more about traveling with us.
Interested in visiting our global partners in 2018?
Email email@example.com and find out dates, costs and expectations!